[Mailman-Users] Spam problems with mailman

Richard lerichard at free.fr
Sat Oct 2 19:25:40 CEST 2004

It seems mailmain is victim of its own popularity!
I have subscribed recently to a mailman mailing list
(http://stp.ling.uu.se/mailman/listinfo/dcml), posted a few messages there
with a totally new email address, and quickly started receiveing spam. I have
two friends with the same experience.
It seems spamers can easily collect email addresses from the "user at
domain.com" text on archive web pages. It seems this is what happens even
with the latest version available. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

This protection is not enough! I suggest to totally remove emails from web
pages, and let users add their email if they want - possibly in a "secret"
form, like "NoSpamuser @ domain.com.invalid (remove invalid and nospam)".

(It may be a bit more difficult maybe to remove emails from email, not web
pages, but I do think it will be a bit make spamer's life more difficult).