[Mailman-Users] 2.1.5 Mail-News gateway moderation feature or bug?

David L Brown dbrown at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 4 21:03:05 CEST 2004

Under 2.0.8 messages to a members-only-posting list entering from the
News gateway would be held for non-members. With 2.1.5 we were alarmed
to see such messages being posted without any moderation control even
though generic_nonmember_action was set to 'Hold'. We could find no
ther settings to control it. Unfortunately some Spam messages from the
News group was distributed to the list's membership. The only
work-around we could find was to use the Spam filter to hold messages
with headers matching "Newsgroups:", but that doesn't seem to give the
finer control available for regular SMTP messages. The News group in
question is not a moderated news group. It isn't logical to me that
messages coming in from an open newsgroup wouldn't be subject to the
usual moderation filters.

We are running stable Mailman 2.1.5 with Python 2.3 under RH9
Linux. Had to apply patch 1020102 to make the Spam filtering
useful. Other than this problem we are enjoying the new features of
2.1.5.

--
David Brown
Systems Administrator, Postmaster