[Mailman-Users] admindb: 500 error

Zebee Johnstone zebee at mighty.com.au
Tue Oct 5 04:31:53 CEST 2004

Suddenly - as in it has been working fine, but some time in the last week
it has failed - the admin interface of all my lists is giving a 500 error.

listinfo is fine, mail is flowing freely.

Mailman version 2.05
httpd log:
[Tue Oct  5 12:04:47 2004] [error] [client 218.214.72.52] Premature end of script headers: /home/mailman/cgi-bin/admin

That;s the only log line.

Nothing in any other logs that I can see.

I don't recall installing any software since the last time I know it worked.

If I try  running /home/mailman/cgi-bin/admin as root, I get a GID error,
if I run it as nobody (the apache user) I get HTML.  If I connect to
that as a URL http://my.machine.com/mailman/admin  I get the same HTML.

But if I connect to the admin database for a list
http://my.machine.com/mailman/admin/listname I get

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator,  webmaster at my.machine.com
and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
have done that may have caused the error.

Apache/1.3.28 Server at 127.0.0.1 Port 80

I see in the archives several people have had this problem, but no one has posted
an answer.  If someone gives me one, I promise to post it for googlers the world
over...

Zebee