[Mailman-Users] More help - please

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Oct 5 22:49:32 CEST 2004

At 4:17 PM -0400 2004-10-05, Layne Meier wrote:

>  Oct 05 16:02:24 2004 (275) delivery to lmeier at bellsouth.net failed with
>  code -1: (146, 'Connection refused')
>  Oct 05 16:02:35 2004 (275) Low level smtp error: (146, 'Connection refused'),
>  msgid: <mailman.0.1097003715.12230.mailman at onmyhonor.info>
>  Oct 05 16:02:35 2004 (275) delivery to lmeier at ajc.com failed with code -1:
>  (146, 'Connection refused')
>  Oct 05 16:02:35 2004 (323) Low level smtp error: (146, 'Connection refused'),
>  msgid: <mailman.0.1097003901.12269.mailman at onmyhonor.info>
>  Oct 05 16:02:35 2004 (323) delivery to lmeier at bellsouth.net failed with code
>  -1: (146, 'Connection refused')
>  Oct 05 16:03:39 2004 (372) Low level smtp error: (146, 'Connection refused'),
>  msgid: <mailman.0.1097003715.12230.mailman at onmyhonor.info>
>  Oct 05 16:03:39 2004 (372) delivery to lmeier at ajc.com failed with code -1:
>  (146, 'Connection refused')

	It looks to me like your Mailman program can't talk to your own
MTA.  As to why this is happening, it's hard to say.

>  I can use SMTP with Postfix.  I've used Postfix for a very long time now.
>  Postfix local delivery is correctly set up, with no personality conflict.
>
>  When I telnet to host at port 25, I do get an SMTP login.

	It could be a reverse DNS problem, you could be connecting to the
wrong IP address for the given name, it could be a firewall problem,
any number of things could be wrong.  But this sounds to me like this
is a problem with your MTA, and is most likely to be successfully
resolved through resources specific to your MTA or your OS -- try the
postfix-users mailing list, among others.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755