[Mailman-Users] Subscribers of one list = subscribers of another?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 7 05:28:06 CEST 2004

Evan Prodromou wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 13:22 -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
>> Let's say I have 3 lists, list1, list2, and list3.  Now I would
>> like to have the subscribers of list 3 to be those of list1 + list2. So,
>> when the list of subscribers in, say, list2 changes, list3 is
>> automagically updated.  Is there a way to do that?  I looked into what was
>> suggested on the bottom of http://starship.python.net/crew/jwt/mailman/,
>> but it seems to be aimed at accept_these_nonmembers. I actually even tried
>> it to do what I wanted but had no luck.
>
>I think what you should do is subscribe list1 at example.com and
>list2 at example.com to list3, and then make list3 an umbrella list.
>
>IIRC this configuration used to suck really badly in previous versions
>of Mailman, and I'm unsure if it ever got sorted out.

There are various problems with umbrella lists such as members of list1
or list2 can't post to list3 unless non-members can post (but Jim
Tittsler's patch referenced above can help with this). Also, members
of both list1 and list2 will get duplicate copies of posts to list3.
See the FAQ article at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.005.htp
for more info and a suggested work around.