[Mailman-Users] Mailman URL and listinfo

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 11 03:44:08 CEST 2004

Fred Look and Brenda Carson wrote:

>well at first we could access listinfo but no lists would show
>if we went to a specific list admin page and clicked on a link it would try
>to take us back to the (www.mydomain.com) rather than a relitive address
>(192.168.x.x)

This is the way it works. The list has an attribute called web_page_url
which is the result at list creation time of plugging a domain (often
DEFAULT_URL_HOST but can be different depending on how the list is
created) into DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN giving something like
'http://www.mydomain.com/mailman/'. This has two effects. If
VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = On (the default), the list will not show on
the listinfo page if the host of the listinfo page is not found in
web_page_url. '192.168.x.x' is not in
'http://www.mydomain.com/mailman/', so the list doesn't show on the
192.168.x.x listinfo page. Also, web_page_url is used as the base for
links on the list admin pages, so all the links are relative to
web_page_url, not to the current URL.

>So we added a line in the hosts file (in XP) 192.168.x.x 	www.mydomain.com
>
>now we can do things like approve moderator requests but cannot add or remove
>members (no error message just dosent do it)
>
>oh on one machine it asks for the pwoord twice (but this may be specific to
>that machine)

The double password may be a cookie issue.

Also, see the links in
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp