[Mailman-Users] How do I creating virtual lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 13 17:46:27 CEST 2004

Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:

>How do I create a list in a virtual domain.
>I tried creating the list with an @ symbol as part of the name but I got
>the following error
>
>Error: List name must not include "@": testing-l at virt1.com

The answer to this question is that lists created by the web create
interface are created in the domain which is the host name of the url
of the current web create page.

Creating a list in an arbitrary domain can only be done by bin/newlist.
See:
 bin/newlist --help
for more info, but note that based on the following, you don't want to
do this. See below.

>I have a web server that hosts the mailing lists at the same dns name,
>www.domain.com/mailman is the host for many other virtual domains so I
>have
>
>MAILMAN_URL = 'https://www.domain.com/mailman/'
>DEFAULT_URL = 'https://www.domain.com/mailman/'
>DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'www.domain.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'www.domain.com'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'www.domain.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
>

>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>add_virtualhost('www.domain.com', 'virt1.com')
>add_virtualhost('www.domain.com', 'virt2.com')

This is not the way Mailman virtual domains work. See
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp
for more info on what add_virtualhost does. Having multiple virtual
host entries with the same url host leads to unpredictable results.

As far as Mailman is concerned you appear to have only one virtual
domain which is the domain of the web interface which if I understand
correctly is the same for all lists. What is different is the e-mail
host for the lists. This can be changed after the list is created on
the list's General Options page using
  Host name this list prefers for email.
  (Details for host_name)

If DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST are the same as in
Defaults.py, you don't need any add_virtualhost() lines in mm_cfg.py.
If they are not both the same, then instead of the three
add_virtualhost() lines above, you probably want the following two
lines:

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['virt1.com','virt2.com']

This is probably OK if you are using Postfix. You don't say, but do you
also have

MTA = 'Postfix'

? Read the comments on these in Defaults.py

>I have not done this before and am not sure what I am doing, can someone
>shed some light on the situation please.

I hope this helps.