[Mailman-Users] Posts Not Going Through

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Oct 25 06:06:21 CEST 2004

>Damn Gentoo stuck it elsewhere. Searching.

I know what you mean.. Fedora sticks 'em in /var/log/mailman.. For key
tools such as this one (mailman), I tend to lean towards rolling my own..

>smtp-failure shows the following:
>
>Oct 07 07:57:24 2004 (6344) All recipients refused:
>{'jnagyjr at joseph-a-nagy-jr.u
>s': (550, 'Verification failed for
><rifts-pbem-bounces at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>\nUnk
>nown user\nSender verify failed')}, msgid:
><mailman.0.1097153842.21728.rifts-pbe
>m at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
>Oct 07 07:57:24 2004 (6344) delivery to jnagyjr at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us failed
>with
>code 550: Verification failed for <rifts-pbem-bounces at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
>Unknown user
>Sender verify failed
>
>which is wrong because it's included in my alias file.

*nod*  However, that does tend to lead to a MTA (sendmail, postfix, etc)
error as opposed to a problem with Mailman.  You may want to confirm
your settings in Mailman/mm_cfg.py with regards to your mailhost and such.

What mail server software are you running?  And does it reside on the
same, or different, machine?

>There is no maillog file.

Not sure where gentoo would put it, but you might have to check in your
/etc/syslog.conf to see where it puts all of the "mail.*" notifications,
and then check that file to see what is being logged there.

>I'm still as lost. Here's the relevant entries for that file:

The aliases look good (I see you're not using smrsh with your email
server).  You're actually not as lost as you think you are.. at least
you know that mailman is trying to send the emails, but failing
miserably.  Now you need to dig through and find out why its
communication with the mail server is failing..  The mail server logs
should help you there..

-Rich