[Mailman-Users] Pig at the wedding question/diatribe

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri Oct 29 23:09:57 CEST 2004

<scraping sound of soapbox being pulled up>

I really, /really/ appreciate applications that build into a single binary or a very few
files, that can be built on a (different) build and test host, then copied over to the
production when everything is thrashed out and ripe...you know, like Pine and UoW IMAP.
I like it because:
= it keeps the production host clean,
= updates are MUCH more manageable,
= you don't have a compiler on the production host to give hackers a way to build nasty
things on your production machines,
= You know when you remove/replace the single/very few files, you've got everything
cleaned out/replaced.
= there's prolly other things that don't come to mind right now.

I have just gotten to page three of INSTALL and it seems like This Will Not Be The Case
With Mailman.  Tell me it isn't so.

I guess I'm just hopelessly behind-the-times in not wanting the installation fairy
sprinkling files here and there and generally making heavy local dependencies.    I never
wanted to be a Hero-Wizard (who maintains the smooth running balance of the Code Forges of
Magrathea by mighty, arcane & stupendous acts of magic...and ends up wasted), I didn't
want to own, feed and take care of five elephants and a steam engine, I Just Wanted A
Mailing List Manager...

Augustine's Law #405:
Anything that isn't in a design won't break
http://wallofjokes.shacknet.nu/Misc/AugustiL.html

Or tell me how wonderful it is............

<grumble, grumble>

send hate mail to the address below

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources