[Mailman-Users] Spoofed Addresses

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Oct 31 04:15:34 CET 2004

At 9:38 PM -0400 2004-10-30, David Relson wrote:

>  I appreciate the pointers.  One of the problems(?) with mailman is that
>  there is _so_ much information, it's close to overwhelming.

	One general rule should be to start with the FAQ and the
archives, and make use of whatever search tools may be available to
you.  As you can see at the bottom of every message posted to this
list, we do try to provide some useful links:

>  Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
>  Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/

	There is more information available in the List-* headers within
each message.

>  My project, bogofilter, suffers from difficulty in finding the right
>  information, even though we don't have as much info. I suspect that our
>  documentation could be better organized than it is :-(

	One thing I think you want to look at is standard integration
methods between MTAs and anti-spam filtering tools, and how you can
make use of those same hooks in your own project.

	It might be of some use to see how the SpamAssassin, DSPAM, or
SpamBayes people do their stuff, and see what things you can learn
from them.  Then you might want to look at how these sorts of things
are typically done with all the MTAs, such as sendmail, postfix,
Exim, etc....

	I'm also involved in the NTP Project, and we provide a TWiki for
use in creating community-supported documentation in addition to the
official FAQ.  For the python.org project, they also provide a wiki
(of the moinmoin variety), in addition to the FAQ Wizard.

	If you don't already have a FAQ, you could easily make use of
wiki-style tools to help put something like that together.

	Once you have a FAQ and a way to easily maintain it, the issue
becomes getting one or more people to monitor the mailing lists and
newsgroups, and periodically take the frequently asked questions and
put them into an appropriate format, etc....  I started doing that
sort of thing over ten years ago for the sendmail FAQ, and more
recently I've contributed to the NTP community supported
documentation and the Mailman FAQ.

	Of course, Google is also your friend.  I recommend the book
_Google Hacks_ from O'Reilly (see
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks/>).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755