[Mailman-Users] sudden "group mismatch error"

Ben Byrne bbyrne at freepress.net
Thu Sep 2 20:32:31 CEST 2004

Hey everyone.

I just joined the list and this is my first post, so I apologize if
it's out of sync with what's going on.

I've been running Mailman happily on our server (mac os x server on an
xserve) for months. But suddenly today things have gone awry.
Specifically, I'm now getting this error when I try to post to a list:

"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post staff"
     (reason: 2)
     (expanded from: <staff at freepress.net>)

Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "daemon".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=daemon'.

Like I said, I've been running mailman for several months without
problems, and am very surprised to get this message. Yesterday I made a
minor change to our sendmail configuration (activated a feature), so
I'm wondering if something hasn't changed in sendmail?  I understand I
can rerun the configuration, as it says, but I'd prefer to "tweak the
mail server" back to however it was before (de-activating the feature
didn't seem to help). I don't believe the change I made should have
affected who sendmail runs scripts as, all I did was activate
FEATURE(`relay_mail_from'), but here I am with a problem.

Any help would be appreciated, I've got several live, active lists that
are down as a result of this (!)

Ben Byrne
Information Coordinator
Free Press
413.585.1533, x11

Support the media reform movement,
become a member of the Free Press Action Fund!
Visit http://www.freepress.net/support