[Mailman-Users] 30,000 Member List - Python Pickle Performance

Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Sep 9 21:10:54 CEST 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Hunter Hillegas wrote:

> I am seeing very high CPU usage when sending a message to my list and also
> when viewing members in the Web interface.
>
> The list has 30,000 members.
>
> Is this due to the pickle based persistence mechanism used? Can I do
> anything to help?

Regarding sending, you'll probably wanna tune your MTA. I had an 11,000
list that affective hung a Sun U10. With some sendmail magic, I was actually
able to get it to handle the load. This included setting up multiple queues
with specifically sized queue runners.

  David Stern                                    University of Maryland
            Institute for Advanced Computer Studies