[Mailman-Users] Apache Proxy Mailman and Virtual Domains

Caylan Van Larson caylan at aero.und.edu
Thu Sep 16 19:30:26 CEST 2004

Afternoon,

I'm a recent convert from majordomo to Mailman, here are a couple
questions.  I've read through all available docs, and scoured the
net... hoping to make a final conclusion here and add to our wiki
later.

Before I jabber, heres the version info:  Debian Linux Stable w/
backported 2.1.4-2 mailman/postfix packages.

Apache is being used to proxy from our mail server with Mailman
installed, to our main web server.  This way, the Mailman web interface
can live happily amongst all the web-applications.  To do this, I made
sure the DEFAULT_URL_HOST was that of my web server and that the apache
configuration contained a ServerName equal to DEFAULT_URL_HOST.  I read
through all the docs and followed directions, but I still couldn't get
the web interface to show DEFAULT_URL_HOST when links were created, it
would always reference the mail servers hostname.  I modified
/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py and commented out any last hope of it
ever happening again:

--SNIP
def get_domain():
     #host = os.environ.get('HTTP_HOST', os.environ.get('SERVER_NAME'))
     #port = os.environ.get('SERVER_PORT')
     # Strip off the port if there is one
     ##if port and host.endswith(':' + port):
     ##     host = host[:-len(port)-1]
     #if mm_cfg.VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW and host:
     #    return host.lower()
     #else:
         # See the note in Defaults.py concerning DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
         # vs. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.
         hostname = mm_cfg.DEFAULT_HOST_NAME or mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL_HOST
         return hostname.lower()
--SNAP

Question, why in the world did I have to go to all this trouble?

Once I had this working, I moved onto my next task, which was making
sure that our 2 other virtual domains worked with Mailman.  I read
through the README.POSTFIX.gz plenty of times and found no reference of
virtual_alias_maps in the man pages, online docs, or offline book
references, so I'm going to assume we are talking about virtual_maps.
For the longest time I was trying so hard to get this to work, assuming
I could have two lists of the same name under different virtual
domains.  However, after my 4-hour struggle of reading, testing,
debugging I came across this little tidbit in TODO.gz:

--SNIP
     - Allow lists of the same name in two different virtual domains
--SNAP

Can someone explain this? and why this gentlemen makes it look so easy?
	http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-January/033869.html

Where in the world is it  "actually in the docs :-)" I'd be so happy to
find it!

Thanks for your help,

Caylan

PS: In case anyone is interested, here is my configuration for getting
the front-end instance of Apache to proxy a mailman installation.

httpd.conf
--SNIP
    LoadModule proxy_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libproxy.so
     # Proxy Mailman's Web Interface
     ProxyPass /cgi-bin/mailman
http://betamax.aero.und.edu/cgi-bin/mailman
     ProxyPassReverse /cgi-bin/mailman
http://betamax.aero.und.edu/cgi-bin/mailman
     ProxyPass /mailman http://betamax.aero.und.edu/cgi-bin/mailman
     ProxyPassReverse /mailman
http://betamax.aero.und.edu/cgi-bin/mailman
     ProxyPass /images/mailman http://betamax.aero.und.edu/images/mailman
     ProxyPassReverse /images/mailman
http://betamax.aero.und.edu/images/mailman
--SNAP

PSS: Here is my full documentation, which will be finalized once our
installation is ... finalized.
	https://portal.aero.und.edu/twiki/bin/view/Know/DebianLinuxMailman