[Mailman-Users] illeagal email address

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Fri Sep 17 06:31:00 CEST 2004

On 9/16/2004 17:59, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> John W. Baxter wrote:
>>
>> But that / isn't in the list name, it is in the local part of a (would-be)
>> subscribed address.  At least as I read the question.
>>
>> I would indeed expect Mailman to prohibit a / in a list name.
>>

> Yes, and apparently it also prohibits it in a subscriber address. I
> tried subscribing a slightly munged version of the address through the
> mass subscribe interface on Mailman 2.1.4 with the following result
>
> Error subscribing:
>
>   * weincek_g/li at nogood.k12.il.us -- Hostile address (illegal
> characters)

Hmmm...that looks like something which should be considered for a future
code change.  That is, provide an option.  Mailman itself is unlikely to
toss a local part into a file path...I don't think it needs to be protected
from this particular legal local part.

Does Mailman accept the alternative legal form of the address:
   "weincek_g/li"@nogood.k12.il.us

I would guess that nogood.k12.il.us uses /xxxxx in much the same way other
servers use +xxxxx.  In this context, it likely triggers a server-time sort
into an IMAP folder named li (for lists?).

If I ever re-learn how to manipulate sourceforge (I haven't done anything
there but download from download mirrors--and toss out their occasional
mailing to members--in ages), I might give it a try.

  --John