[Mailman-Users] gid problems or something else??

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Sep 20 21:35:56 CEST 2004

	Hi People,

	I spent most of the weekend trying to install Mailman;
	no-joy.  I got close late Saturday night when I received
	a "wwlist-request" from my Mailman server on 'sage.thought.org'.
	When I sent in the reply to "coonfirm" it bounced;  the
	return mail said there was no such user as "wwlist-request".

	This appears to be a gid problem.  Originally, I build things
	strictly out of the box.   I played around with the mailman
	binary; it said that I should rebuild the suite with
	'--with-mail-gid=wheel' rather than "mailnull".  I rebuilt and
	reinstalled.  No difference.  This morning I rebuilt my mailman
	port from scratch.  Here is the output from sendmail's
	/var/mail/maillog:

Sep 20 11:49:39 sage Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman
expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailnull", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "daemon".  Try
tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailnull", or re-run
configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=daemon'.
Sep 20 11:49:39 sage sendmail[24478]: i8KInch0024476:
to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner wwlist",
ctladdr=<wwlist-owner at sage.thought.org> (1/0), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=139083, dsn=5.3.0, stat=unknown mailer
error 2

	I'm trying to set up Mailman on my DNS server, ns1.thought.org,
	alias sage.thought.org.  This servr is running FreeBSD 5.2.1
	and sendmail.

	If re-running ./configure with the  option
	`--with-mail-gid=daemon', that would be the easiest fix.
	Otherwise, any help to help me figure out what I'm doing
	wrong and how to fix it would be a mjor help++ !

	thanks,

	gary kline

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix