[Mailman-Users] Ban List

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 24 21:32:10 CEST 2004

mehrab at mehrab.org wrote:

>I own a mailing list which I manage thru mailman software. I am quite new
>to this software. I actually used Yahoo Groups for more than theree years
>for my list but recently migrated to my own server with mailman to manage
>the list. I have difficulty in getting members ban from the list.
>The ban list screen says the following:
>"Addresses in this list are banned outright from subscribing to this
>mailing list, with no further moderation required. Add addresses one per
>line; start the line with a ^ character to designate a regular expression
>match."
>which means an address should be like ^x at y.z.

Only if you want to specify a pattern as a Python regular expression.

>But when I tried to directly subscribe this address (after banning) it
>gets added to the list. I also tried ot ban x at y.z but still able to add
>this address to the list. Could you please help me on this?

The text you quote above says "Addresses in this list are banned
outright from subscribing to this mailing list". It does not say that
the list administrator is banned from subscribing them directly.

The ban list prevents people from subscribing themselves. It doesn't
prevent the administrator from subscribing them.

>I also could not figure out how to see the complete list of members as one
>file. I have more than 25000 members on my list.

The e-mail who command or the bin/list_members command although it
sounds like you don't have access to the latter.

>Same for the unsusbcribed
>members as I used to get these in Yahoo Groups quite easily.

I don't understand what you mean by a list of unsubscribed members. If
you mean a list of people who have been subscribed in the past but
aren't now, Mailman doesn't have that information. If you maen
notification of unsubscribes as they happen, this is controled by
admin_notify_mchanges on the lists General Options.