[Mailman-Users] Attaching just word files

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Apr 7 05:24:29 CEST 2005

On 4/6/2005 19:59, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> Adam Cripps wrote:
>
>> One of my clients has requested a list that only handles microsoft
>> word attachments, whilst excluding all other attachments (and allowing
>> all other normal email). Is this possible with mailman? I've tried
>> adding the mime-type application/msword to the filter, but it still
>> strips the word attachment.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> You also have to allow multipart/mixed or whatever the higher level
> part is that contains the application/msword part (assuming that the
> sending MUA correctly identifies the attachment as application/msword).

I think one can't assume that.  I think that one must look at what each MUA
in use by the posting population does when creating the message.

In particular, look at the output of various Outlook versions when their
global setting for styled messages is RTF rather than HTML (some versions at
least default to RTF, and the setting is well hidden).  One impact of this
setting is to produce broken quoted printable representations of many PDF
files...broken enough to crash many programs which try to deal with the
attachment (that's not an issue here, since PDFs aren't wanted).  The HTML
setting on the other hand produces valid base 64 versions of the same PDFs.

  --John