[Mailman-Users] Data directory/bounce-events-* files?

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Mon Apr 18 19:14:25 CEST 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 12:11 pm, Dan D Niles wrote:
> Larry Rosenman writes:
>  > On Monday 18 April 2005 02:10 am, Jim Tittsler wrote:
>  > > On Apr 15, 2005, at 12:22, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>  > > > I have 178MEG of bounce-events-* files in my /data directory.
>  > > >
>  > > > Should these files be hanging around?
>  > >
>  > > No.  It sounds like either:
>  > >   - your bounce queue runner isn't running
>  >
>  > It had been crashing, due to the Python 2.4.* issues.  Now fixed.
>
> My bounce queue runner dies so often that I had to change MAX_RESTARTS
> from 10 to 100.  I also have a script that restarts mailman every day.
> I've had the bounce runner die as often as 41 times in one day.

It's Mailman 2.1.5 not totally liking some tightening of the strftime()
argument checking in Python 2.4+

> Was the issue causing the bounce runner to crash fixed in a newer
> version of python?  If so, what version was the fix introduced in?
It's fixed in **MAILMAN** 2.1.6RC, or you can look back at last weeks archives
of this list for a patch (I needed to patch one of the CGI's as well).

> Are the extra files a result of the bounce runner crashing, or a
> result of me restarting Mailman every day?
>
> [clip]
>
>  > > I'd be inclined to just delete the old bounces (since some of them may
>  > > be stale by now) and restart Mailman.
>
> What determines if they are stale?  I don't understand the details of
> the way the bounce events are handled.  I think that every 15 minutes
> (by default) Mailman processes the pending bounce events, but what
> determines what events are pending?  Does mailman keep a list of those
> somewhere? Or does Mailman just look for files named
> bounce-events-*.pck?

I'd like to get the answer to this as well (I've cleaned up the mess at the
moment, but...)

Phone: +1 214-351-4152                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 3535 Gaspar Drive, Dallas, TX 75220-3611