[Mailman-Users] aliases file in Mailman owner by root

Dave Pisarek shaggyshags at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 18:39:52 CEST 2005

Each time I attempt to create a list in Mailman version 2.1.5 I
receive the following:

RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

When I check the aliases file it is owned by root in the group mailman,
-rw-rw----  1 root mailman 3523 Apr 22 07:15 aliases

I change the owner back to mailman and then it just changes back. My
Default.py and mm_cfg.py files are default, here is a small snapshot:

Default.py shows mailman owner and group as:
MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'

mm_cfg.py shows as:
MAILMAN_OWNER     = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME

The MTA is Postfix

Funny thing is that it still creates the list and adds the aliases for
said list into the aliases file.

Anyone ever see this or have a fix?

--Dave