[Mailman-Users] How do I default to HTML, not plain text emails?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 29 06:09:03 CEST 2005

    Daevid> Aahh.. Okay. I guess I misunderstood what that checkbox
    Daevid> was for. Seems silly that one would have a choice for the
    Daevid> digests and not for regular emails.

You don't get a choice of HTML or not for digests.  You get a choice
of formats for packaging several posts into one mail message.  If the
original posts contained HTML and that was not stripped, then it will
be passed through.  This may work better if the user chooses the MIME
format for digests, but as far as I know both digest formats pass HTML
just fine.

    Daevid> I thought the old mailman allowed a user to choose if they
    Daevid> got the regular emails as plain or html. Hmm.

No.  What you may have been observing is that multipart/alternative
messages that contain BOTH plaintext and HTML versions of the same
content were viewed as plaintext by members who set their MUAs to
prefer plaintext, and were viewed as HTML by members who prefer HTML.
Since the message contains both versions, the member can (and does)
choose AFTER receiving the message.

In Mailman 2.1, it is (finally!) possible for the list admin to refuse
and/or strip out HTML BEFORE it gets sent out by the list.  Mailman is
not capable of reformatting a message as HTML.  Senders must do that
themselves.