[Mailman-Users] User errors

Tim DeBoer tdeboer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 03:15:20 CEST 2005

Hi Everyone,
I've managed to get mailman installed on my FBSD 4.X system, but I
can't seem to get a few things working.

1. I'm unable to access the web interface at the URLs provided in the
confirmation email after creating the default mailman list.
I just get the error:
Bug in Mailman version 2.1.6
We're sorry, we hit a bug!
Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

2. The error_log for the site contains the following traceback:
(*Note, Sorry, but I've munged the actual system name on purpose, I've
had to learn the hard way unfortunatly. If you really want the system
name for testing or whatever, email me and we'll discuss it.)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
[----- Mailman Version: 2.1.6 -----]
[----- Traceback ------]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 82, in run_main
    immediate=1)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 52,
in __init__
    Logger.__init__(self, category, nofail, immediate)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 49, in __init__
    self.__get_f()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 67, in __get_f
    1)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/codecs.py", line 566, in open
    file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/mailman/logs/error'
[----- Python Information -----]
sys.version     = 2.3.2 (#1, Feb 18 2004, 14:11:10)
[GCC 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]]
sys.executable  = /usr/local/bin/python
sys.prefix      = /usr/local
sys.exec_prefix = /usr/local
sys.path        = /usr/local
sys.platform    = freebsd4
[----- Environment Variables -----]
        SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) PHP/4.3.10
        SCRIPT_NAME: /mailman/admin
        SERVER_SIGNATURE: <ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at
mail.foo.net Port 80</ADDRESS>

        REQUEST_METHOD: GET
        PATH_INFO: /mailman
        SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
        QUERY_STRING:
        HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
        HTTP_CONNECTION: Keep-Alive
        SERVER_NAME: mail.foo.net
        REMOTE_ADDR: 24.9.90.40
        PATH_TRANSLATED: /usr/www/docs/mailman
        SERVER_PORT: 80
        SERVER_ADDR: 216.229.0.158
        DOCUMENT_ROOT: /usr/www/docs
        PYTHONPATH: /usr/local/mailman
        SCRIPT_FILENAME: /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admin
        SERVER_ADMIN: me at foo.net
        SCRIPT_URI: http://mail.foo.net/mailman/admin/mailman
        HTTP_HOST: mail.foo.net
        SCRIPT_URL: /mailman/admin/mailman
        REQUEST_URI: /mailman/admin/mailman
        HTTP_ACCEPT: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg,
image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, */*
        GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1
        REMOTE_PORT: 1454
        HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us
        HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate

If I try to run the listinfo script in cgi-bin from the command prompt, I get

/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo

<head>
<title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being
stored in your syslog:
<pre>
Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the CGI
wrapper script to be executed as group "www", but
the system's web server executed the CGI script as
group "wheel".  Try tweaking the web server to run the
script as group "www", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-cgi-gid=wheel'.</pre>

I did install mailman from the ports, rather than source so that may
have something to do with it, I don't know.
Also, I'm using suexec on apache, I'm not sure this is related to that though.

Also, the scripts print mail.foo.net when reporting an error, rather
than the correct hostname of spaz.foo.net, I don't know if that's
related to any of the above though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Tim DeBoer

Just once, I'd like it if someone called me "Sir".
Without adding "You're creating a scene".