[Mailman-Users] Search and import

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 11 15:57:51 CEST 2005

At 10:46 AM +1000 2005-08-11, Kai Hendry wrote:

>>  >  I have a bunch of emails from another system that I wish to import
>>  >to mailman.
>>  	Not a problem.  The answer is in the FAQ.
>
>  Aha!
>  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq05.001.htp
>
>  I wonder how I convert my messages which are individual files to a mbox?
>  Just cat them?

	No, you can't just "cat" them.  7th edition mbox format is very
specific in terms of the delimiter characters.  Usually the
safest/easiest thing to do is to re-process the individual files with
the "formmail" program from the "procmail" package, in order to turn
them into the correct 7th edition mbox format mailbox.

	This answer is definitely in the archives, and should also have
been in the FAQ.

>>  	The issue here is that Mailman was never designed to be abused in
>>  the way that hosting companies are now doing.  It was intended to be
>>  something that an organization sets up for itself, and where you've
>>  got complete control over everything yourself.  It was never intended
>>  to be used in a hosting environment.  People who abuse it in that way
>>  need to provide a lot of support to their hosting customers,
>>  otherwise you lose much of the functionality.
>
>  Please! I think it is a bit harsh to call it "abuse".

	Mailman was never designed to be used that way, so it is quite
appropriate to call it abuse.  Especially in the case where hosting
providers put the program up and then say that they don't provide any
support for it.

	If you were one of the principal authors of Mailman, or one of
the administrators/moderators of the mailman-users mailing list, I
might be willing to listen to your arguments on this matter.

>  Ideally there should be a mail or Web interface for this feature.

	Which is why you should file an RFE at the SourceForge Mailman
Request For Enhancement page at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755