[Mailman-Users] Conflicting evidence in the logs

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Mon Aug 15 13:37:30 CEST 2005

I have set up a mail to news gateway to news.eclipse.org.   As a spam
protection this news server requires that you authenticate yourself to the
news server.  Consequently I have set up NNTP_USERNAME and NNTP_PASSWORD in
my mm_cfg.py file.

I am definately receiving news via the gateway - several messages have from
this group have arrived in my inbox - and a check with an independant
newsreader confirms that you can only do this if you successfully
authenticate.

Last night, I thought I had successfully posted a message via the mailing
list to the news server, but checking from another source this morning, it
appears my message never reached it.

Checking the logs in /var/log/mailman/error I find this entry

Aug 14 21:47:12 2005 (2418) (NNTPDirect) NNTP error for list
"eclipse-webtools": 480 Authentication required for command

Which looks as though it is not even trying to login, rather than I made a
mistake with username or password.

Do I have to do any other steps to ensure that I am properly authenticated
for messages to the news server, as opposed to news from it?

 --
Alan Chandler
alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk