[Mailman-Users] Message digest/archive oddity ...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Aug 21 07:01:29 CEST 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 9:52 AM -0400 2005-08-18, Jason LaMar wrote:
>
>>  What happened? Why did the body of the message disappear? And how do I
>>  prevent this from happening again?
>
>	This is a result of the Scrubber in action.  The problem is that
>when messages come into the mailing list in MIME format, it is not
>possible to put multiple messages together into a digest with all
>their various MIME bodyparts.

I think the issue here is not so much the scrubbing of the
application/msword part, but the skipping entirely of the
multipart/alternative part, thus keeping the attachment, albeit
scrubbed, but dropping the message body entirely.

This is basically a deficiency in pipermail which really doesn't do
well with MIME messages.

I think one way to avoid this is to turn on content filtering. If you
dont want to actually filter any content, you can leave both
filter_mime_types and pass_mime_types empty and nothing will be
removed except that all multipart/alternative parts will be replaced
by the first alternative only. I think this will avoid the
disappearance of the message body in this case. Of course, the message
body you see will be just the text/plain (unformatted) alternative and
not the text/html (formatted) alternative even for non-digest
recipients, but at least there will be message body text in the digest
and archive.