[Mailman-Users] migrating from sourceforge list archive to mailman

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 16:13:29 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 23:57 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I wanted to migrate a list stored on sourceforge.net to mailman kept on
> my site.
> It's about 300 messages.
>

> It seems that there is no easy way of doing that, and I'll have to open
> each mail stored on sourceforge.net, copy it's contents, sender, and
> date, and send it to a new mailman installation (with the appropriate
> From:, date, and subject/body) - all 300 mails manually.
>
> Did anyone already migrate from a list stored on sourceforge.net, and if
> so, could somebody give me some hints on how to do it best?

I assume your need is to archive the previous emails, you are not
concerned with member migration. The archive used by mailman is stored
in mbox format. If you can somehow grab your existing archive as a flat
file (in mbox format or convert it) you could install the mbox file and
run mailman/bin/arch to rebuild mailmans archive from the mbox file.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>