[Mailman-Users] I'm getting a 95% mass bounce action

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 29 05:16:59 CEST 2005

David Spake wrote:

>I've got a problem with Mailman, and I'm unsure as to how to correct it.
>  My host provider runs MailMan 2.1.5.  I like it, but the problem I'm
>having is that I keep getting periodic mass bouncings my list.  I get
>like a 95% "bounce action notification" every three or four weeks.

And what's in them. Do they contain a copy of the Delivery Status
Notification. What does it say?

>I've
>got the bounce processor turned off, and all the notifications come to
>me, so the users are unaware (as far as I can tell).

I'm not sure why you're seeing anything if bounce processing is turned
off for the list. Normally, returned bounces are just discarded if
bounce processing is off. Perhaps you're talking about notifications
from when bounce processing was on.

>What causes it, is
>beyond my understanding.  I've looked at the posts that are just prior
>to the mass bounce notificiations, and they don't look any different
>than any other post.
>
>What, if anything, can I do to try and track this down.  I don't mind
>unbouncing everyone (it's only 60 users or so), but 5 times this month
>has gotten old.

Are you seeing the actual "bounce" notifications that are being
returned? If so, they will tell you why the mail is bouncing. Without
that information, people can only guess.

If you are getting (have gotten) notifications to the list owner from
Mailman, the triggering bounce message should be attached to the
notification.

You could also try adjusting the bounce processing settings. If for
example, you set bounce_score_threshold to 5.0 and
bounce_info_stale_after to 4, then the only people who get disabled
will be those who have five or more bounces with no more than 4 days
between them. It sounds like your "spurious" bounces don't happen that
often, but if you really have a bad address, this should get that as
long as you normally get posts every day or two.