[Mailman-Users] MIME "mulitpart/mixed boundary" re-arrangement causes digital signature to fail

Donald Wong dwong at changind.com
Wed Aug 31 17:33:58 CEST 2005

Is it possible to make mailman leave the entire content of a message
with untouched (example, multipart MIME messages)

The Problem:
When trying to send a digitally signed (SSL cert) email to a Mailman
list, using Mozilla Thunderbird in this case, the recipients on the list
would see the signature as Not Valid.  We've pinpointed the problem to
that Mailman would parse the entire email message and re-arrange the
MIME header/content, thus rendering the signature invalid.  What Mailman
would change is to strip the newline character that's in between
"Content-Type:..." and "boundary", as the "Content-Type:multipart/mixed"
header with newline is added by Thunderbird when attaching a file
attachment (including vcard).  While either having or not having the
newline will conform to RFC MIME specifications(or so I was led to
believe) thus making it a correct behaviour in that sense, it's
definitely wrecking the signature.

Example:

I've also tried to test with Outlook Express and it would produce the
same result.

So I think the easiest way to solve this is somehow configure Mailman to
not rearrange the message while processing the message.

On the server side, we're using Mailman 2.1.5 on a Fedora Core 3 system,
and the mailman rpm is the one built by redhat.