[Mailman-Users] Exim mailman transport fails

Steve Garcia sgarcia at bak.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 19:10:47 CET 2005

Hi,

I've set up my Exim4 and Mailman configuration largely as shown on
list.org at http://list.org/mailman-install

However, when I send a message to the list, I get the following in
exim's mainlog:

 mailman at helios.cs.csubak.edu R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport:
Child process of mailman_transport transport returned 2 from command:
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman

I couldn't find anything in the docs about what command line options (if
any) the mailman executable might take, so I'm not sure how to
troubleshoot.  I don't know if there was a problem building the
executable or if it is a configuration problem.

I said I configured it *largely* as the docs say.  There were a couple
of differences.  The docs showed reciever verification like this:

accept  domains       = +local_domains
          endpass
          message       = unknown user
          verify

but my config file did not have the "message" line.   I didn't figure
this would make any real difference.

I tried to put the SMTP Callback stanza (secion 6.2.10 of the docs) into
my exim.conf, but this caused exim to barf.  Since I didn't understand
what it was doing, and hence how to fix it, I commented it out.  I got
the impression it was optional.  Was I wrong?

Does this sound like a configuration problem?  If so, where should I look?

Thanks!
Steve