[Mailman-Users] mailman problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 10 20:15:23 CET 2005

Jeffrey D. Means wrote:

>I am having problems getting mailman to run with qmail.  I have at this
>point proven to myself so that I believe it is a problem either in the
>mailman config or who mailman is running as (permissions problem).
>
>When I post to a list I created I get a message back saying I need to
>visit the web site and follow the directions there.  I have already
>registered as a user on the list by admin bulk add, since I cant respond
>to the register address either.

How was this mailman installed? It is not standard in these respects at
all unless the "TO ACCESS THE MAILING LIST SYSTEM:" message is in
qmail. It certainly isn't in standard Mailman 2.1.5.

Further, if I try to go to http://lists.meanspc.com/, I am redirected
version 2.1.5" which is definitely a problem. What's in Mailman's
'error' log for these?

See below for more.

>-- mail bounce when trying to talk to -request
>>From MAILER-DAEMON at bast.meanspc.com Thu Dec  8 10:47:05 2005
>Date: 8 Dec 2005 10:47:05 -0000
>From: MAILER-DAEMON at bast.meanspc.com
>To: meaje at meanspc.com
>Subject: failure notice
>
>Hi. This is the qmail-send program at bast.meanspc.com.
>I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
>addresses.
>This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>
><cvs-request at lists.meanspc.com>:
>TO ACCESS THE MAILING LIST SYSTEM: Start your web browser on
>http://lists.meanspc.com/
>That web page will help you subscribe or unsubscribe, and will
>give you directions on how to post to each mailing list.

This message is not in standard Mailman. In the standard system, mail
to cvs-request at lists.meanspc.com would be piped to the mail wrapper
via something like "|path_to/mailman/mail/mailman request cvs" (or
with qmail maybe "|preline path_to/mailman/mail/mailman request cvs")
and the wrapper would pipe it to scripts/request with argument "cvs".
The request script would queue the message for the command runner.

The only things that result in an error returned to qmail are errors
involving the invoking group, the number of command arguments or the
command type detected by the wrapper or no or non-existant list
detected by the request script. None of those messages look at all
like the above.

If you haven't modified the wrapper, then the mail probably isn't
getting that far and the above message is coming from qmail. Do you
have the appropriate .qmail-cvs, .qmail-cvs-request, etc. alias files?

>--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

The message looks OK, but it seems that the process hasn't even gotten
to the point of looking at it.