[Mailman-Users] Migrating from 2.1.4 on one machine to 2.1.5 onanother?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Dec 14 18:29:48 CET 2005

Ben Ostrowsky wrote:

>We're trying to move Mailman from one machine to another, and I'm not quite
>sure how to do this.
>
>I've configured Mailman 2.1.5 on our new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 server.
>I would like to copy all of the mailing lists (configurations, membership
>information, and archives) from the 2.1.4 installation on our old SuSE Linux
>8.1 server.
>
>Should I do this?  If so, what's the easiest sane way to do it?

Yes you should do it. If the domain names of the new server are the
same as the old, just copy the archives/private/, archives/public/ and
lists/ directories from the old server to the new and you're done.

If the domains are different, you'll need to run fix_url after copying
the directories. Run bin/fix_url.py for instructions. Also, there will
be a few links in the archives that point to the old domain. If this
is a problem, you can rebuild the archives from the
listname.mbox/listname.mbox files with bin/arch. run "bin/arch --help"
for info.

Since Mailman is apparently already running on the new server, you may
not want to copy the site list info (lists/mailman/ or whatever the
site list name is) from the old server.