[Mailman-Users] Mailman Installation Owner

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 15 02:09:48 CET 2005

Carl Zwanzig wrote:

>In a flurry of recycled electrons, Kory Wheatley wrote:
>
>> Here's the configuration I used to install Mailman 2.16 logged in as the
>> "wheakory" user account.
>> ./configure  --prefix=/home/mailman --with-python=/usr/bin/python
>> --with-mail-gid=mailman --with-cgi-gid=www
>
>That should get the files, but the wrapper code will still want to
>use wheakory. You will have to rebuild that, but a "reinstall"
>isn't necessary. I'm sure there's something in the FAQ abou this.

Mailman was originally configured with "--with-mail-gid=mailman
--with-cgi-gid=www". These are the groups the wrappers are expecting
to be invoked by, and this won't change. The MTA will still invoke the
mail wrapper as group 'mailman' and the web server will still invoke
the cgi wrappers as group 'www'.

What may change is the effective group set via the SETGID bit and the
group ownership of the wrapper, but the wrapper doesn't check these
things, so no recompilation of the wrapper should be necessary. Just
make sure that the wrappers' group is the one that has permissions on
all the Mailman files.