[Mailman-Users] Error when accessing Mailman CGI web interface

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 17:21:47 CET 2005

(cut)

> What happens if you do the above with "su - mailman" instead of apache.
> At this point, the wrapper is invoking the driver as group mailman
> because it is SETGID.
>
> Are you sure SELinux is disabled?

Hi Mark,

The "su - mailman" version works without any problems, e.g.

su - mailman
cd ~/domains/chuckie.co.uk/cgi-bin
./admin

<head>
<title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being
stored in your syslog:
<pre>
Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the CGI
wrapper script to be executed as group "apache", but
the system's web server executed the CGI script as
group "mailman".  Try tweaking the web server to run the
script as group "apache", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-cgi-gid=mailman'.</pre>

According to /etc/selinux/config:

SELINUX=disabled
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Looking at the mailman source, I guess that somehow the execve() call is
failing but I'm not sure exactly where to start digging...

Many thanks,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 797131
F: +44 (0)1752 791023

http://www.webbased.co.uk
http://www.infomapper.com
http://www.swtc.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.