[Mailman-Users] Problems with archiving

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 20 18:03:49 CET 2005

Josh Greenberg wrote:
>At first I think it was a permissions problem but I think I fixed that.
>Originally, the public directory was owned by root:other and the private
>was owned by nobody:nobody (the user/group that runs apache). I left the
>private alone and chown'd the public dir to mailman:mailman.

This is probably at least part of the problem. The private directory
must be group writable and group 'mailman'.

>In the
>httpd.conf file, I have the following lines:
>ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>Alias /pipermail/ "/path/to/mailman/archives/public/"
><Directory "/path/to/mailman/archives/public/">
>        AddDefaultCharset Off
>        Options FollowSymLinks
>Does this seem correct?

>Am I missing something? Thanks.

Can you go to either archive from the web and see the 'No messages have
been posted to this list yet' page?

Try running bin/check_perms to be sure the ownership/permissions are OK.
The 'mailman' group has to be able to write everywhere in the
archives/private structure.

Are messages being collected in

Are the permissions = 02775 and group = 'mailman' on the
archives/private/listname.mbox/ directories?

Have you overridden any of the "Archive defaults" in mm_cfg.py?