[Mailman-Users] Any problem in listening to localhost for anannouncement mailing list instead of my ip.ad.re.ss?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Dec 21 16:34:22 CET 2005

Munzir Taha wrote:

>This is the first time I install a mailing list so I am not sure whether what
>I am doing is correct or had some side effects. I installed mailman in my
>lists.mydomain.com where
>
>lists.mydomain.com.         3600    IN      MX      10 lists.mydomain.com.
>mydomain.com.
>
>and netstat -ap shows
>tcp  localhost.domain:smtp       *:*      LISTEN      -
>since my sendmail.mc is set to
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
>One problem is that aliases I added to /etc/aliases won't work and one can't
>subscribe to the mailing list via sending a 'reply' to the subscripitoin
>confirmation notice and need only to click the confirmation url so I would
>need to edit files such as verify.txt, invite.txt, and unsub.txt and omit
>that relavent 'confirm %(cookie)s' part. Am I going against any
>recommendation here?

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but you shouldn't need to
modify templates regarding email confirmation. You may want to modify
the subscribeack.txt template to be more appropriate for an
announcement list, but that's a different issue. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.

Your aliases MUST work and you MUST be able to receive mail at some
domain and pipe it appropriately to Mailman. This domain would be your
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and would be the host_name attribute for each list.
I suppose it would be possible to run an announcement list that
couldn't receive email, but bounce processing wouldn't work, posting
would be awkward and subscribing/unsubscribing/option-setting/etc.
couldn't be done by email.

So bottom line is you have to set up your MX records and incoming MTA
to be able to receive and deliver to Mailman.

You probably also want your MTA to listen on 'localhost' for outgoing
mail.