[Mailman-Users] Mailman Error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 24 17:35:27 CET 2005

nagarajan wrote:

>    I am using redhat 9.0 I have Installed Mailman Using the RPM  from the redhat9.0 CD. Whenever i am trying to open it i am getting the error the felow.Please let me know the solution.
>
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/var/mailman/scripts/driver", line 68, in run_main
>    immediate=1)
>  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 52, in __init__
>    Logger.__init__(self, category, nofail, immediate)
>  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 49, in __init__
>    self.__get_f()
>  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 67, in __get_f
>    1)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/codecs.py", line 496, in open
>    file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/mailman/error'

The immediate problem is Mailman does not have permission to create or
write /var/log/mailman/error. This is a RedHat specific location for
these logs, and there may be a problem with the permissions
established by the rpm you installed.

The /var/log/mailman/ directory should be group 'mailman' and
permissions 2775. Owner is usually 'root' but this doesn't matter.

All files in the /var/log/mailman/ (if any) should be group 'mailman'
and permissions 0664.

This will get past the immediate problem, but then there will probably
be some other error logged to the file and reported.