[Mailman-Users] Re: Virus Just Got Through on TOTALLYMODERATED list.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sat Feb 5 22:01:20 CET 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Jeff Groves wrote:

>> I think the two Received: headers could be enough considering the worm
>> probably has it's own SMTP engine. The way to answer this for sure is
>> to see if it is in the 'post' log.

Jan 27 22:55:10 2005 (39139) post to vgc-announce from
ericgraves at earthlink.net, size=39384,
message-id=<qekkbjguqcsiaoconcz at vagrassroots.org>, success

> I agree with Mark and would go even further that it is all you need to know.
> The pcp08579508pcs.alxndr01.va.comcast.net address, which is indicative of a
> Comcast end-user in Alexandria, Virginia, is plenty to know that the user
> that had the address at the particular time (Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:15:35 -0500
> (EST)) was infected with some type of worm.

Jeff, I had already worked out that much.  And it might have trolled the
list posting address from an address book or a previous email...but...

1) (This is the question I've been wanting the answer to the whole
time)...Why did it not require approval?  When Eric Graves (the same guy,
same email address, the list owner and moderator), goes to make a post, it
gets held back with a "requires approval".  Up until recently, we took
this as a sign that security was as it should be.  Even if someone spoofed
the email address, we'd have a chance to catch it.

2) Why isn't it in the vette log?

3) If the worm spoofed all the x-mailman headers and everything, and
magically managed to insert itself into the pipermail archives, why are
the logs missing?

--

"Happy, Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Intruiged!  I've never been so
in touch with my emotions!"

-AndrAIa as Hexadecimal, Reboot Episode 3.2.3