[Mailman-Users] Mailman + giant lists + the infinite weight of the cosmos

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 9 15:41:34 CET 2005

At 11:29 PM +0100 2005-02-08, Brad Knowles wrote:

>>   Mac OS X 10.3.7 seems to use Python 2.3 by default. The new db package
>>   sounds very promising. Will my Python pickles automatically use this
>>   new "db package" without requiring any work on my part?
>
>  	I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I would be very surprised if they
>  did.  I think you may need to do a little bit of programming to change
>  the pickle format, but I couldn't tell you what that would be.  I'll
>  leave others to answer this question.

	I've done a bit of checking, and Python 2.2 supported the "bsddb"
database format.  It's not mentioned in 2nd edition of _Programming
Python_, but pages 946-949 do cover programming with the AnyDBM
module, and bsddb is a special case of that, according to 1st edition
of _Python In a Nutshell_, pages 230-236.  Both books also cover the
issue of pickling individual objects, and storing objects within
databases, etc....

	There may have been some additional support for bsddb directly
within pickling objects added for Python 2.3, but I have yet to find
specific references for that in the documentation.  But you can start
looking at <http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/lib/module-bsddb.html>
and <http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/lib/module-pickle.html>, if you
want to learn more.

	At this point, it may be best to continue this discussion on the
mailman-developers list.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755