[Mailman-Users] python errors executing scripts

Sean sean at sweetbourbon.com
Wed Feb 16 16:30:50 CET 2005

> Mark Panahi wrote:
>
> >Well, I tried 'check_db -a -v' and it complains that there are no
> >config.pck and config.pck.last files for each list. The thing is, I
> >had moved the lists and archive directories from an older installation
> >(we had upgraded everything in our server). Seems like these pck files
> >are something recent? Anyway to create these? Hmmm, I suppose we
> >didn't upgrade properly.
>
> So presumably you have config.db and config.db.last files instead. This
> change occurred with 2.0.x to 2.1.x.
>
> Also, for any list whose configuration has been locked, loaded, saved
> and unlocked, there should be a config.pck because 2.1.x versions
> always save the list as a pickle, not a marshall.
>
> If you upgrade Mailman on an existing installation, the actual
> configuration data will normally be updated by bin/update which will
> be run by "make install"
>
> In your case, where you moved the config files from another, older
> installation, I think you may need to run bin/update manually,
> although there are reports that seem to indicate this isn't necessary.
> If you do run it, you will probably need the "-f" option to make it do
> anything, and you should back up everything first.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Yes it is possible to import old version config.db files to a newer
version using config.pck without running bin/update.  A simple http
request to the list on the new installation will generate the config.pck
files.

It may be necessary then to update the host_name and web_page_url option
after such a move depending your set up.

Sean