[Mailman-Users] Mailman list size limitations?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Feb 16 23:15:40 CET 2005

> What is the largest known MM list out there?

I can go to about 50K, on moderately slow hardware (sun E250). An
xserve can handle that without breaking a sweat.

> We're thinking of using it for a list that currently contains 400,000
> entries, though probably about 20% of those should be discarded/are
> dead.

I'd say you're probably asking for problems, unless you use multiple
lists and an umbrella. It might work, I'd be really curious how the
internal pickles scale to that. I think you're likely to his disk I/O
issues.

When my stuff started getting large, I wrote systems customized for
large-scale delivery and management. My guess would be without a good,
random backing store database for the subscriber list, anything that
large would really struggle. I'd definitely want that subscriber list
in SQL somewhere.