[Mailman-Users] How Does Spam Filter Regex Processing Work?

Kevin Redden kfredden at verizon.net
Tue Feb 22 04:21:41 CET 2005

Hi All,

I'm am having a problem getting the Spam filters to work properly. This same
problem was experienced with both the 2.1.5 and now with the 2.1.6b4 release.

We are trying to put in Spam filters to catch keywords or phrases in the subject
line of posts to keep trouble topics off the list. Sometimes they  work, but
sometimes we can't come up with a filter to catch the phrase.

I've got a copy of RegexBuddy that I test my regex statements with, and it
reports my regular expressions should be working - yet the posts go through,
missed by the subject filters. The filters also seem to work differently
depending on whether we use the new header filters or the old legacy filters.

Has anyone written or found any documentation that details how Spam filters
(both header filers and the old legacy filters) work in Mailman?

I already have a copy of the Python Regular Expression HOWTO
(www.amk.ca/python/howto/regex/) and the Python Regular Expression Syntax
(www.python.org/doc/current/lib/re-syntax.html), but what I am looking for to
resolve the puzzle is something that indicates how the filter processing works
in Mailman, and maybe a few examples of what works and what doesn't.

Many thanks,
Kevin Redden