[Mailman-Users] bad message has killed moderator page

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 11 18:20:56 CET 2005

Mike Alberghini wrote:

>We have hit a problem where a non-ascii character has made Mailman blow up.
>I have deleted the held messages for the list, but we still get the bug
>page with the ASCII encoding error.  Is there a way to purge the held message
>info so we can get moderator functions back?  I have checked the FAQ with no
>luck.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I assume you mean you deleted the data/heldmsg-<listname>-*.pck files.

There is also an entry in data/pending.pck, but this only links the
confirmation token back to the held message and shouldn't cause this
problem.

There is a more detailed entry in lists/<listname>/request.db which
contains the message subject and almost certainly is the cause of the
problem.

There might be something in qfiles/, but if the message was properly
held, this is not likely.

I suggest you use bin/dumpdb to verify what's in
lists/<listname>/request.db and assuming it contains nothing you want
to keep, just replace it with an 'empty' one from another list.