[Mailman-Users] Fetchmail? + mailmain + SMTP on different servers

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jan 14 11:43:14 CET 2005

At 6:25 PM +0800 2005-01-14, Glen Low wrote:

>  1.	Can I get Mailman to send mail to an SMTP server on another machine?

	Yup.  No problem.  Just set appropriately the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
in the mm_cfg.py file.  Or, you could configure the local MTA to dump
all outgoing mail on a relay server (perhaps provided by your ISP).
Or you could do both.

>  2.	Does Mailman require a FQDN for itself? (If I don't run a full MTA
>  then it seems to me I don't need to have a domain name or static IP.)

	Not really.  I mean, you need to have full domain names that the
machine is going to pretend to be, defined in the mm_cfg.py file, but
those don't actually have to have much to do with the hostname of the
machine, etc....  Just make sure that the mail and web servers on the
machine are configured to match.

>  3.	The CGI's that serve as the web interface, do they require that the
>  rest of the Mailman machinery be on the same machine?

	No, you could have the web stuff on one machine and the mail
stuff on another, perhaps shared via NFS.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755