[Mailman-Users] Restoring Mailman configuration from a distro to another

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jan 14 20:34:02 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 13:49, Luis Fernando C. Talora wrote:
> Fellows,
>
> I´m having some trouble restoring a Mailman server. The problem is that
> We´ve built our mailman server originally with Fedora Core 2. Yesterday, the
> Hard Disk stoped working, so we restored our backup (a 250 mb tgz file,
> restored to another server). Since I don´t have Fedora Core 2 CDs in here, I
> had to install Fedora Core 3 instead, but so many things had changed for
> Mailman from one version to the other (the directory where it´s placed is
> one of them).

There is documentation in /usr/share/doc/mailman-*/INSTALL.REDHAT which
tells you the mapping of old directory locations to new directory
locations.

Because both FC2 and FC3 both shipped mailman 2.1.5 you should be able
to just copy your data and queue files over to the new location. In
addition you'll want to copy over your mm_cfg.py file.

I think the following minimal set of changes will get you on your way

    Directory Mapping:
    /var/mailman/archives			--> /var/lib/mailman/archives
    /var/mailman/data				--> /var/lib/mailman/data
    /var/mailman/lists				--> /var/lib/mailman/lists
    /var/spool/mailman/qfiles			--> /var/spool/mailman

    File Mapping:
    /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py		--> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py (sym linked from /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py)
    /var/mailman/data/adm.pw			--> /etc/mailman/adm.pw
    /var/mailman/data/creator.pw		--> /etc/mailman/creator.pw
    /var/mailman/data/aliases			--> /etc/mailman/aliases

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>