[Mailman-Users] unknown mailer error 1041

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Mon Jan 17 16:56:57 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:30:34PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:48 AM +0000 2005-01-17, John Poltorak wrote:
>
> >>  	That's a return code being generated by Mailman and passed back
> >>  to sendmail, but sendmail doesn't recognize that number or know what
> >>  to do with it.  That's a clear indicator that something is wrong, but
> >>  without more information it's hard to say what that might be.
> >
> >  Yes, I realise it could be due to countless reasons, but I'd like to know
> >  what the 1041 means.
>
> 	This number is not found anywhere in the Mailman source code, so
> it would have to be something internal to Python, or something that
> was passed up through Python and Mailman over to sendmail.  I'll see
> if I can check the Python source code to see if this number is found
> anywhere in there, but I don't hold out much hope.

I'm sure it is something fairly obscure and could well be Python or
even OS related.

> >  Is there anything about turning on debugging in mailman? I didn't see it
> >  anong those pages.
>
> 	What debugging that Mailman is capable of providing is already
> turned on by default.  You have to look in the log files to see what
> information in /usr/local/mailman/logs to see what is provided.
> Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot here, but it is usually enough
> to get another clue as to what the problem is.

There is nothing in logs at all.

Is it possible to run something at the command line to be able to get
closer to what is going on? ie something like:-

cat email_file | /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mm_test

I'm not sure what 'subscribe' refers to here... Is it a python script? If
so can I add some debug option so that it tells me what is going?

--
John