[Mailman-Users] Filter for (no subject)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 25 17:00:33 CET 2005

Bob McLeran wrote:

>On the list I administer we get a few emails with no subject. Depending
>on the email client used to send the mail, the subject line shows up
>with "(no subject)" or a variant, or a blank line. We're havn't been
>able to figure out how to filter out those emails, despite using several

In the situation you describe, the subject is blank and the MUA reading
the mail is providing the "(no subject)" message.

>Here are the filters we currently have in place (that don't work):
>[Ss]ubject: .*[Nn]o [Ss]ubject.*

This one is good for picking up things like "Re: No Subject" that might
be produced in a reply. Assuming you are putting these in
header_filter_rules, you don't need [Ss] etc. as the pattern match is
set to ignore case.

>[Ss]ubject: [Nn]o [Ss]ubject

This is redundant if you have the previous one.

>What should we be using for a filter in order to catch blank subject lines?

Have you tried

subject:[ \t]*$