[Mailman-Users] mail format question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jan 27 17:25:31 CET 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 11:05 PM -0500 2005-01-26, Vikki Jankowski wrote:
>
>>  I am using Mailman as a mass emailer for my non-profit org and would like to
>>  use it to send out our monthly newsletter, except that the newsletter is
>>  HTML.  I've tried to send the email as a test to myself and it just comes
>>  back as text code, not HTML.  Is there a special way to do this?  (FYI -
>>  Mailman is preinstalled by my host, so its nothing I can "configure" or
>>  change on the server end except for what I can change in the Mailman admin
>>  section.)
>
>	Go to the web admin interface for your list, and go to the
>"Content filtering" sub-page.  At the very least, you want to turn
>off the conversion of text/html to plain text, and you want to make
>sure that text/html messages are passed.  You may want to turn off
>content filtering altogether.

One thing that's especially tricky about content filtering is the
following - quoted from the Content filtering page.

  After this initial filtering, any multipart  attachments that are
  empty are removed. If the outer message is left empty after this
  filtering, then the whole message is discarded. Then, each
  multipart/alternative section will be replaced by just the first
  alternative that is non-empty after filtering.

What this means in practice is that if your filtering allows
multipart/alternative, text/html and text/plain and you post a message
which is multipart/alternative with both text/plain and text/html
parts, only the text/plain part will remain after filtering.

Thus if you want HTML on the list, you must either not allow plain text
or post HTML only, not multipart/alternative or turn off content
filtering.