[Mailman-Users] filter_mime_types example

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jan 29 21:32:54 CET 2005

Jeff Groves wrote:

>I am trying to come up with a good "starter" filter_mime_types list.  I
>went through my /etc/mime.types and picked-out all of the top level
>identifiers that I knew for sure that I didn't want...  At least I think
>I'm sure...
>
>Anyway, here's my list:
>
> image
> application
> audio
> model
> video
>
>Have I made any blunders choosing these?

If you want to allow pgp signed messages, you will lose the signature
which is application/pgp-signature

I think people tend to use the pass_mime_types rather than
filter_mime_types. A reasonable list for pass_mime_types for allowing
plain text and pgp signatures only is

multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
multipart/signed
application/pgp-signature
message/rfc822
text/plain

See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041697.html
and
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041706.html
for some discussion of this.

If you want, you can add text/html to this list, but see for example
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041763.html
for some discussion of the implications.