[Mailman-Users] need help for aliasses

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jan 31 02:46:35 CET 2005

dinar ali kadri wrote:

>Hi when i request to subscribe a list on mailman page after that i
>check my
>smtp-failure log i finds this error:
>
>Jan 29 12:36:26 2005 (3959) SMTP session failure: 553, 5.3.0 <unix-
>bounces at pakishop.com>... user User unknown, msgid:
><mailman.0.11482.547.
>unix at pakishop.com>
>
>i want to know what to do coz in my aliases it is unix-bounces not
>unix-
>bounces at pakishop.com. my mailserver name is info.pakishop.com but i
>masquerade
>it in pakishop.com so then what is a mistake which i am making ?should
>masquerade entire domain in my sendmail macros or shall i change
>something
>else ?

The above message in your smtp-failure log comes from the SMTPDirect.py
module when it is trying to send outgoing mail (it only does outgoing)
and the SMTP transaction fails with an SMTP error code for a reason
other than recipients refused.

The message says user is User unknown - this may mean that the intended
recipient user is unknown, but this really isn't consistent with 553,
5.3.0. From RFC 2821 - "553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name
not allowed (e.g., mailbox syntax incorrect)" and from RFC 1893 - "
   X.3.0   Other or undefined mail system status - The destination
system exists and normally accepts mail, but something about the
system has caused the generation of this DSN."

It looks to me like Mailman has received your subscription request and
is trying to send you a confirmation and is being rejected either
because the outgoing MTA doesn't like "unix-bounces at pakishop.com as an
envelope sender (SMTP FROM command) or something doesn't like the
recipient or more likely the recipient domain.

This doesn't look like an alias problem.

>My http server name is www.pakishop.com so is it okay for giving
>mailman URL a
>virtual host name which is info.pakishop.com.

Yes, but if you can normally receive mail at user-name at pakishop.com and
you can send from your local host to user-name at pakishop.com, you
shouldn't need to do this.

Assuming you're not supporting other domains, You could put the
following lines in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.pakishop.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'info.pakishop.com'

If you change these things in mm_cfg.py, you will probably need to use
fix_url.py to update the data for existing lists.