[Mailman-Users] "No such list mailman" after creating list - Possibly Solved?

Josh Simoneau jsimoneau at lmtcs.com
Tue Jul 26 17:18:33 CEST 2005

Alrighty, thanks everyone for the help, I solved (or at least
worked-around) the issue.

Apparently someone some time ago installed a mailman RPM onto this
server and just left it for dead without setting up postfix and all that
jazz. It installed everything into /var/mailman where I am installing
everything into /usr/local/mailman.

For some reason my web server was looking to /var/mailman for data, even
though I cannot find anything in httpd.conf that points to /var/mailman.
So, while I was happily updating and tinkering with everything in
/usr/local/mailman Apache was looking to the wrong place and not finding
the lists or proper passwords.

So, my last challenge is to figure out why Apache is looking to
/var/mailman where I can't find anything in the config to tell it to
look there. Maybe its somewhere else. For a workaround I just renamed
the /var/mailman directory and created a symbolic link from /var/mailman
to /usr/local/mailman. It works, but I still want to know how to get
Apache to look to the right spot.

I do have in httpd.conf:
ScriptAlias /mailman/       /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias   /pipermail/     /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

That's not really the job of you folks here to troubleshoot Apache
issues, but if someone is feeling kind....

Thanks again,
Josh