[Mailman-Users] Incoming messages are not received in Mailman+ Postfix

roy vinner roypivn at indiana.edu
Tue Jul 26 21:03:56 CEST 2005

John Dennis wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 12:56 -0500, roy vinner wrote:
>
>>My output is:
>>tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*             LISTEN

<snipped>
> The output above is saying you're only listening on your local
> interface, thats a problem, nobody can connect to you. Postfix's
> inet_interfaces parameter is what controls what postfix listens to. To
> see your current postfix configuration do this:
>
> % postconf
>
> it will print out every postfix configuration parameter, look for
> inet_interfaces, for example my configuration is:
>
> inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
>
> if you only have localhost thats the problem. If you include $myhostname
> (anything with $ in front is a postfix variable) look for the value of
> $myhostname in postconf's output, it should be your machine.

Okay, I've got
$>postconf | grep host
address_verify_relayhost = $relayhost
inet_interfaces = $myhostname,localhost
invalid_hostname_reject_code = 501
local_transport = local:$myhostname
myhostname = nrg.wustl.edu
mynetworks_style = host
myorigin = $myhostname
relayhost =
smtp_helo_name = $myhostname
smtp_host_lookup = dns
smtpd_authorized_xclient_hosts =
smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts =
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (Mandrake Linux)
smtpd_proxy_ehlo = $myhostname
unknown_hostname_reject_code = 450
$>

There's a line there setting myhostname = nrg.wustl.edu, which is a
symbolic name for my host. Is the order in which these appear incorrect,
or there's something else?

Thankfully,
Roy